Tuesday, February 22, 2005

It's DVD Tuesday!!!

Today, I picked up I Heart Huckabees!

I've been wanting to see this movie for quite a while. You see, here in Jeezus Land, sometimes it's hard to find a theater playing films in which stuff doesn't blow up.

Even more intriguing is the review of this movie from the New York Times that I read for the first time today. (registration required)

The high-wire comedy "I ♥ Huckabees" captures liberal-left despair with astonishingly good humor: it's "Fahrenheit 9/11" for the screwball set. Chockablock with strange bedfellows — Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin play a hot-and-heavy married couple, Jason Schwartzman gets his groove on with Isabelle Huppert — the film is a snort-out-loud-funny master class of controlled chaos. In this topsy-turvy world, where Yes is the new corporate No and businesses sponsor environmental causes while bulldozing over Ranger Rick, a pair of existentialist detectives sift through clients' trash to solve the riddle of their malaise. Like the film's director, David O. Russell, they gladly risk foolishness to plunge into the muck of human existence.


Here's the deal folks. I know a lot about politics and possibly more about movies, but, at least for now, I don't know what "'Fahrenheit 9/11' for the screwball set" even means.

Perhaps after I watch it tonight, I will be able to fill you in further.

Until then, I have a DVR'ed episode of "House, M.D." to watch, then Huckabees.

-The Oklahoma Hippy

P.S.

I am working on a piece that will lay out the case that the war in Iraq is simply the most elaborate coup attempt in human history.

Keep your eyes peeled.

3 comments:

  1. More of a coup than Hitler's Night of the Long Knives or Julius Caesar's march on Rome in 49BC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More elaborate than Castro's takeover of Cuba?
    Chavez's turning of Venezuela?
    Than the American Revolution?

    Well good for the coup. At least this one shut down some of those nasty rape rooms. (I guess that's not a big deal to the Left though.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Oklahoma Hippy,
    I had a rough day at work. Having read this post before leaving work, I decided to pick up Heart Huckabees and watch it with you. Great!!! Thanks

    I must tell you, I used to view life from the eyes of the mud bitch. Then one fine day I discovered the blanket. Smack!! Auto accident, actually. Life hasn't been the same since. Peace,
    deb

    ReplyDelete