Tuesday, July 19, 2005

My thoughts on Roberts...

I know this plays against the cartoonish stereotypes that people have about liberals, but I just wanted to say something about John G. Roberts...

From everything I have seen and read so far, he seems like a reasonable and contemplative jurist.

I don't have to agree with the guy politically, and I probably don't, but as long as his legal reasoning is sound and he approaches his job without an agenda, then I'm fine with him.

I've seen no indications that he's anything other this.

So, for my money, I say confirm him, no fuss no fight.

Who's shocked and surprised at this statement? If you are then you don't give me enough credit.

Yes it's true that I have a lot of personal animosity to most of the policies and rhetoric the comes from the right, but it is because I disagree with the policies and the rhetoric themselves, rather than just disagreeing because it comes from the other end of the political spectrum.

The problems that I have with the Bush Administration, and there are many, have never been about being a knee-jerk Bush hater.

The reason I have for my dissent are real and deliberate. The same goes when I can agree with decisions President Bush makes, and this nomination thus far seems to be one of those decisions, and I even laud the President' call for civility during this process.

Barring something that gives me a real reason to conclude otherwise, the choice of John G. Roberts as the nominee to the Supreme Court seems to have been handled in a serious way by serious people, and I respect their choice.

So, let the confirmation hearings be fair and reasonable, and if he shows himself to be the same, I offer my congratulations to Judge Roberts on this rarest of achievements.

Here's to Justice Roberts, and may God bless him for the process he is about to endure. May it be swift and painless.

-The Oklahoma Hippy

5 comments:

  1. Ah but every Judge has an agenda regardless of how much they deny it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say let's not take the bait and waste our precious hours talking about this appointment. It will get no better as long as we have the Bushist regime, and the important news is the pending demise of the regime. If you need something else to worry about, let it be the Global Warming, which is a problem beyond imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesn't look good to me. Granted the choice could have been much worse but a disastrous choice regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now hold on baby, he doesnt sound that bad. Any word on his position for glbt marriages?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is very little if any info about his gay and lesbian views. Any and all glbt groups sites I have visited oppose him, but that may just be general disagreement with ideals.

    ReplyDelete