Friday, September 9, 2005

Chertoff Press Conference...

Chertoff is saying that FEMA needs to be prepared for disasters both natural and man-made and that Mike Brown is being called back to Washington to oversee FEMA Nationally once again, to assure that we are prepared and ready for anything that may come.

“When all is said and done, Hurricane Katrina will go down as the largest natural disaster in American History. Mike Brown has done everything he possibly could to coordinate this nearly impossible challenge.”

He is being replaced the disaster area by a Coast Guard Vice-Admiral who has a lot of experience, but Brown is staying to make sure that we’re prepared for what comes next.

I wish I were kidding.

Oh God, the questions and answers are even worse!

A reporter asked why Mr. Brown was not removed from the post:

Chertoff: As you know Mr. Brown is the director of FEMA. FEMA has not only the responsibility to deal with the Katrina recovery, but has other responsibilities as well. We’ve got tropical storms and hurricanes brewing. While it’s important to be focused on what’s happening on the ground here, we cannot let our guard down with respect to other things that might happen. Therefore I want to make sure FEMA continues to be run the way it needs to be, continues to be prepared for other challenges. I want to have the people here on the ground able to focus their full attention on what needs to be done with the recovery process…

Reporter: Is this the first step in Mr. Brown’s resignation? Can you answer that Mr. Brown please? And also, how do you respond to reports that you embellished your resume and there was the report in Time Magazine…

Chertoff: (interrupting) You heard the ground rules. I’m going to answer the questions. I’ve explained what we’re doing. I thought I was as clear as I possibly could be in English as to what I’m doing and why I’m doing it. Next Question…

I transcribed that using my TIVO. It’s a little rough, but it’s accurate.

-The Oklahoma Hippy

No comments:

Post a Comment